Sunday, April 5, 2009

Is it possible to have your limbs fall off?

Wow, I can not believe it, another week down. I am one step closer to race day. I really did my best to work pretty hard this week, and my body is feeling it.

The week started off being fogged in at the Newark airport,for 9.5 hours with three cranky kids. We managed to make the best out of it and even had some more fun in NYC the next day. We finally made it back late Monday night and I was eager to get a little aggression out of my system.

Tuesday I was able to knock out my bike intervals at my new found FTP - 325 watts. My legs felt relatively good given the lack of exercise I had during the previous week. My brick run was solid and I found myself holding back in order to stay in the proper pace zones. Wednesday is where things got a little interesting. For the first time since the OS, some new people showed up on the track. They happened to be a few pretty quick runners and triathletes that I know from the area. As I was warming up, they began a series of 800's. I was supposed to do 2-3 mile repeats at Z4/5, 6:00-5:44. I felt like I really needed to show them my new fitness and I really let the first mile go. My legs just kept moving and I ended the first mile at 5:19. I looked at my watch and could not believe it. I hadn't run that fast since my college days. My rest period went by faster than I thought it would. I knew I needed to keep the pace up, so I went out hard. When all was said and done a 5:18. I knew I would feel those laps next day.

Thursday was a long run. Nice and steady. By the end of the workout, 12.5 miles were completed. It was my longest run to date. It was good to get that run out of the way. Because of life issues, I knocked out an outdoor 4 hour ride on Friday and an indoor 3 hour ride on Sun. The one thing left was my Saturday swim. One part of the workout was 6x100 yrds @ t-pace - 5. I was hoping to hold 1:20's. I do not think I have ever held that pace for that kind of interval. My first hundred: 1:18. Then 1:19...1:18...1:19...and so on. By the time the workout was over I was spent.

So here I am, Sunday night wondering how I am able to still use my limbs. At various points this week I would have sworn that they were nothing more than wet noddles. I had a nice week of training wrapped around some nice family functions. I continue to struggle with the inner demon of doubt, but I try to remember my best workouts when ever it strikes. I have heard that even the best of pros will wonder if they are doing enough during their training. I guess it is nice to have something in common with those really fast types.

Eleven more weeks to go and I can not wait. I am looking forward to another solid week of training. I am due for a 5K pace test, so if weather permits, I should have something new to talk about.

JTG

No comments: