Tuesday, February 10, 2009

What in the world happened?

Holy Crap! The last entry on this blog is way back in October. I was 6 weeks into a training program, horribly out of shape and about to have my world turned upside down. I will not bore anyone or myself with the details, but..... it invovled changes at work, two moves and trying to figure out how to spend time with my wife and three kids.

Now here I sit roughly 20 weeks away from my goal or "A" race. Somewhere in one of my many unpacked boxes is a list of goals that I want to achieve at Ironman Couer d'Alene. I think I will try to make a future post about them so that they will be out there for all see. I hope that it will keep me honest.

This is a week to rest and evaluate my current level of fitness. Even with all the chaos of the past few months, I managed to keep most of my fitness. I recently ran a 1/2 marathon in 1:23 and change. I was hoping to be a little faster, but another bad virus got a hold of me the week before the race. My cycling is hanging on by a thread. I have begun to ramp up the miles when able. However, with the extra work, I feel like my top end has suffered a little bit. Two month's ago my FTP was 306 watts. If I can fit it in, I am going to try to test again later this week. Swimming, yes swimming. I really went swimming. Honestly, I think that since Ironman Florida '07 I had probably only swam 4-5 times up until January. I have been trying to work on my stroke mechanics and get myself back into shape with twice weekly swim workouts. They must be working, because I decided to do a 1000 yard time trial this morning. My overall time was 14:45. I think swam a little fast in the beginning, but was able to hold 1:30/100yrds over the last 800. I can not find it, but I had a chart that documented my swim improvements during my last IM build up. I seem to remember being even slower at this point that year.

So that is it. A very simple recap. I don't have much to report. I am going to try to keep this bog updated with twice weekly entries. I am going to keep my traing going. And, I am going to always remeber that nothing takes the place of hard work.




Keep Focused.




No comments: