Sunday, October 5, 2008

Week 5 (A runnin' fool)

Five weeks down and I am still feeling great. As far as exercise goes, the week had a couple of high points worth mentioning. Midweek, I got together with a few friends to run a 5K run test. The last 5K I ran was a huge disappointment. I went out way too fast and blew up big time. It was one of my slowest times in the recent past; 20:00. I had high hopes for the test because my running has been going pretty well. Before we could start we found out the secret service had closed the track we wanted to use because of the VP debates. We made our way to the near by park and let it rip. When the dust settled, my 5K time was 18:20; a sub six minute pace. It has been a while since I went that fast. The amazing thing is my HR average was at least 15 beats lower than the average I held during the bad 5K. I hope that means I have a little more speed in my old legs.

The other workout of note was Friday's run. It was one of those beautiful fall days. A perfect temperature, sunny skies and no wind. I just started running and did not finish until 9+ miles had passed. I kept my HR under 140 and was excited to see that my average pace was 7:43. It was the kind of day that I wish I could have every time I go out the door.

For many others in the world of triathlon, this week marks the beginning of IM week. IM Hawaii, the Ironman World Championships, happens this weekend. The picture at the top of my blog is the water near the start of the swim. It is where I hope to be one year from now. For now, I will be living vicariously through the reports of others on the big island.

Stay focused,

JTG

No comments: